Saturday, May 5, 2012

Journey Ireland: An Update

It has been some time since I have written on my blog. Perhaps I have felt I have not had anything interesting to share. Actually there is lot going on. My academic journey is almost over. The end of the second semester of my second year in the MA Ritual Chant and Song Program at the Irish World Academy of Music and Dance, University of Limerick, is drawing to close; one more week and then I am on to my thesis in earnest. I have been sitting with it, letting it percolate. My topic is around chant in the contemporary world; the chant of all traditions and all traditions seem to chant in some form. Chant is often describes as an intimate expression of sacred text. Most obvious is Gregorian or Plainchant, the cantillation of the Torah (first five books of Moses)in the synagogue, the all night vigils of Kirtan, Hindu call and response devotional chanting, the deep-throated sound of Tibetan monks as they sit and chant their sutras. These are but a few of the ancient practices present in a postmodern world. But there is much more to the chanting of sacred texts in sacred settings.

The chant of many world traditions has grabbed the attention of a world audience. You only need to go onto YouTube and type in the word chant to find thousands of examples. And there are wonderful musicians leading people in evenings, or weekends of chanting, hold gatherings and concerts around the world. Look at the music of Deva Premal and Miten, Robert Gass, or Jai Utal. These and many other very accomplished musicians are sharing the joy of chanting through their concerts and through their recordings.

Chant is a phenomenon that is perhaps not recognized as such and this is what I am writing about. I will provide examples of the interest and practice of chant, do case studies on the Dance of Universal Peace that use the chants of diverse traditions to bring people together to connect and embody peace. Twice a year the Omega Institute's Ecstatic Chant weekends gather hundreds of people together in one room to joyously chant with some of the wonderful musicians I have mentioned. What draws the participants? And I am doing my own work, leading workshops in chanting and meditation at Glenstal Abbey in Ireland, initially with great success. I want to know what draws people to chant and what the experience is like for them. I have many questions.

This is only a glimmer into what I am writing, and while it will be the culmination of two years of wonderful study, it is only the beginning of my life's work. I have had many opportunities in my life, a diverse and rewarding career for which I am grateful. But in the end it has always been for me about the music, singing. I feel so blessed to have found and to be able to follow my passion and especially to share it with others.

In addition to writing my thesis I have one more important project to complete. I will be recording a CD this summer of my original chants and poetry, something that will further my work. I am very excited about all of this; my Journey Ireland has been some amazing journey. It's not over yet! I am blessed and grateful and I am sending my love from Glocca Morra.

No comments: